Anyone who has worked in a restaurant knows what 86 means. If something is 86’ed, it means that there is no more left. Most restaurants want to avoid running out of a dish, but there’s one thing we can all agree to get rid of: AIDS.
All through the month of June, EAT (RED) SAVE LIVES will work to achieve just that. This month-long culinary campaign is stuffed full of restaurant collaborations, social media challenges, dining events, and cool cooking merch, all with a goal to #86AIDS.
Here are some ways you can EAT (RED) this month:
June 5th marks the 37 year anniversary of the discovery of AIDS. To raise awareness, we’re telling the world what you can buy with 20 cents. You could buy a pickle, a cube of cheese, half a slice of bacon; in other words, 20 cents won’t buy a lot of food. What 20 cents can get is a day’s worth of live-saving HIV medicine. You can spread the world by using #20cents to show the power that two dimes can have.
The (RED) Ingredient Challenge
How well do you know your ingredients? You can put your knowledge to the test with the (RED) Ingredient Challenge. You can play along with these steps:
- Grab your iPhone and start recording a video.
- Introduce the challenge by saying: “I’m taking the #REDIngredientChallenge & naming as many red-colored ingredients as I can in 86 seconds. Why? To raise awareness for (RED)’s fight to #86AIDS. 86 is a culinary term that means something no longer available. That’s what I want to see happen to AIDS.”
- Set a timer for 86 seconds (or 1 minute and 26 seconds) and start listing as many red-colored ingredients as you can. Any red-colored food item is game.
- When 86 seconds is up, invite three people to take the challenge & stop recording.
- Post the video on social media with the following copy: “I just took the #REDIngredientChallenge to support @RED’s fight to #86AIDS. How many red-colored ingredients can you name in 86 seconds? I nominate <insert handles of who you’re nominating> to take the challenge next!”
Keep Calm and Eat On
Satisfy your appetite for mindful eating with the meditation app Calm. New in-app integrations will include a mindful eating masterclass, a Daily Calm mediation, and a mindful eating collection. Calm will donate 20 cents for each of the first 50,000 listeners in the mindful eating masterclass, delivered by Dr. Michelle May.
Experience something new and support a good cause with these national events:
- The (RED) Supper at Bonnaroo: This year, you can attend the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Tennessee while fighting against AIDS. The (RED) Supper at Bonnaroo will be a three-course southern dinner from famous chef Margot McCormac. 100% of the ticket costs to this event will go towards the fight against AIDS.
- Secret Suppers with PlaceInvaders: If you’re looking for a truly unique dining experience, where better to have it than someone’s residence instead of a restaurant? That’s the idea behind PlaceInvaders. This traveling dining experience will let you join world-renowned chefs for a meal at a secret location, and a portion of the ticket sales will go to (RED). You can be part of this event in Los Angeles on June 15th and 16th, or in New York on June 22nd, 23rd, or 24th.
- Wanderlust: Food and Wine Experiences to Fight AIDS: Wanderlust festival attendees in Vermont or West Virginia will have not one, but three different events to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a farm-to-table dinner, a cookout, or “Happiest Hour,” you can experience one-of-a-kind dining while raising money for the Global Fund.
- Radical Road Show! Festival: Radical Road Brewing Co. will be having their first community-based festival in Toronto, Ontario. BBQ, a full beer garden, and a musical line-up will make this a festival that can’t be beat. Radical Road will also be launching their (PRODUCT)RED Irish Red Ale. 50% of every can sold and 20% of every ticket will go to (RED)
Restaurants and Delivery
- Blaze Fast Fire’d Pizza is joining for EAT (RED) again with their (RED)VINE Pizza. For every (RED)VINE and Coke they sell, they’ll donate $1. If you post a photo of your pizza and beverage with the #CokeRedSweepstakes and tag @BlazePizza, they’ll donate an additional $1 and you’ll be entered into a sweepstakes for some (RED) merch. Talk about a win-win!
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams has a special (RED) Collection for the month of June: Coffee with Cream & Sugar, Goat Cheese with Red Cherries, Ricotta Toast with Red Berry Geranium Jam, Ndali Estate Vanilla and dairy-free Dark Chocolate Truffle. This special collection will be delivered to your doorstep, and $6 will be donated from each purchase.
- Dana’s Bakery can satisfy any sweet tooth with six red velvet and six red chocolate macarons. For every box purchased, Dana’s Bakery will donate $5.
- Whether you’re in Chicago, New York, D.C., or London, you have places to EAT (RED) thanks to the Boka Restaurant Group. Fourteen of their restaurants will have exclusive (RED) items, and will donate $1 for each dish ordered.
- If you’re heading south of the border, El Califa has you covered. This taqueria in Mexico City will make a donation for every taco sold throughout the month.
- What better way to spend a night than dinner and a show? In a partnership with Angels in America, Quality Meats or The Modern will seat you at an exclusive (RED) table. All you have to do is make a reservation and select the (RED) menu item for either restaurant.
- YOLO Experiences has four different locations where you can EAT (RED): Coco Lounge, Urban Grill, Santoku, and Carbon. They will donate 5% of every (RED) menu item sold at any of these locations. If you’re looking for extra fun, they’ll also be hosting four (RED) events!
You can stay home and still participate in EAT (RED), thanks to the kitchen products available at SHOP (RED). All the products in the shop help in the fight against AIDS, including their handy tools for any at-home chef.
Still hungry for more? Check out RED.org/eat for more information about EAT (RED) SAVE LIVES.